Jan 3, 2017
The volunteers from St Meera’s conducted a road audit in the vicinity of the school premises. The CoRPS road safety audit form was used as a guide. The audit was conducted at two different times – when the school begins and when the classes end. The audit covered various aspects related to traffic density, traffic calming, road conditions, footpath conditions, signage, locality. The Ulsoor police station constables, and Mr Prathap of PotholeRaja joined in the afternoon session.
The students came up with several recommendations :
- Signage and patrolling to prevent people violating one-way rules
- calm the traffic near the school using rumble strips, signage
- designating drop zones for children to be dropped
- Define a zebra crossing to facilitate the children to cross the road
- Improve signage near the school
A detailed report with the observations and recommendations was jointly signed by the Mr. Irfan a Khan, Principal of St Meera’s PU College; Ms Selva Kumari, Pricipal of St Meera’s School and Sanjay Tambwekar of The Arundhati Foundation. This report has been submitted to the Bangalore Traffic Police ( DCP East, and Ulsoor )
what you see in the picture above is a schematic used in the recommendations.